Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Less than a month to go before we move into the new apt. and I can't wait to be out on the end of a quiet road. I have been up since 5:30 when a "crotch rocket" motorcycle when flying by on the road below us. These guys are crazy - they drive between the cars on the centerline and burn rubber at each light going through town. And talk about noisy - they make my teeth hurt.

Carnival was this past weekend and we avoided the crowds and watched a bit of the adult parade on TV. The teachers at Montessori said the Children's Parade on Friday wasn't too bad as it drizzled off and on, keeping them somewhat cool. Our kids made the front page of the paper so everyone was happy. We went out to a local's place to have the prime rib special Sunday night and a couple came in who had just gotten back from St. Martin. They had left for the weekend to avoid Carnival and got there to find out it was Carnival weekend on St. Martin too.

I am still shaking my head over Nirvana's Children by Ranulfo, an author who lives in Australia, but was born in the Philippines so the main character in the book is a teenage Filipino boy who runs away from home and ends up falling in love with a teenage prostitute who dies of an overdose. She may be the one on drugs, but the first person narrative is so strange I wondered if Napoleon was on drugs, or psychotic. He calls having sex "making disease" and uses some other quite strange phrases as well. He joins the birds in the park for a time, having lively conversations with them, and even tries to fly with wings made out of feathers, spit and dung. Lots of messages here about the government, ecology, racism, etc. This is certainly for older teens. But, the cover makes you think it is for middle grades as it has a carousel horse on it. If you look closer at the back cover there is "Mr. Bones" - death that is taunting Napoleon at every turn. All in all a very strange read, but I have to admit I couldn't put it down - had to find out what was going to happen to Napoleon and I'm still not sure!

Off to Montessori to make up some hours since I have to go in late on Friday. Steve is off to his daughter Monica's wedding. Just a short weekend trip, but I do have the apt. to myself for a couple of days. Sophie and I are going to do our mom/cat daughter thing and curl up and read late in bed. :-)