Sunday, February 26, 2006

The sailors have to love this breezy weather but I am not seeing too many boats out there. I noticed we have a severe weather watch - something to do with flooding - but we haven't gotten any rain. It is a bit hazy out there but the sun is shining through.

High season is upon us for sure. We had a hard time finding a place to sit in Shipwreck yesterday for our Saturday 1/2 burger. We watched an entire Stevie Ray Vaughn music video while we waited for our food, but it was worth it. The luxury yachts are lined up along the wharf and Crown Bay Marina is full. I have gotten to the point that I don't even like going out anymore as I hate the long wait. I like summers better - hardly any tourists.

I have a lunchmeat pizza in the oven for lunch. Mary thought that was the funniest thing when I told her. Poor Steve - he went to the grocery store on Friday to get the makings for pizza. No pepperoni, so he bought ham lunchmeat instead. Oh well, it isn't like pepperoni, but it works! No worse than the hotdog pizzas I used to make years ago in Alaska.

Read Julie Anne Peters' Between Mom and Jo last night. Nick is the fourteen year old son of two moms, Mom and Jo. Mom is Nick's biological mother, but Jo is the mom he turns to in times of need, and he is darn needy when his moms' relationship breaks up. Nick wants to live with Jo, but Mom is adamant about that not happening. Nick's spiral into depression is heartbreaking, right down to him unplugging his fish tank and letting the fish die. At first I was a bit put off by the almost stereotypical depiction of Jo as the butch type lesbian. Jo is certainly not the typical mother type. She is a beer swigging loud mouth with a wicked sense of humor who can't hold down a job. Mom is in law school and very dependable, with loving parents. Adding Mom's new love interest to the mix and this is one of those books you can't put down. I really wasn't happy with the ending, but it did fit the tone of this book.

All for now - the pizza is cooling in the kitchen. :-)