Thursday, March 15, 2007

The weather matches my mood today - cloudy and dreary. Our neighbors decided to have a very verbal fight on their balcony at 4:30 this morning. They could have been in our bedroom for as loud as it was. Steve gave up and got up, but I almost suffocated myself with a pillow over my head to try to sleep a bit more. On the positive side, Steve had plenty of time to make breakfast before he went to work so I woke up to a yummy breakfast burrito. Absolutely adore a man who cooks me breakfast! We are moving, but Steve wants to wait until Sunday. He'll move after I fly back to Greenville. I won't be back until the 29th so hopefully we will close on our new house a few days later.

I had the coolest phone call yesterday - it was my grandson Michael's jubilant voice telling me, "I pooped in the potty!" I don't know who was more happy - him or his mom. Gramma let him know how proud I am of him. He was so darn cute on the phone. Had to tell Steve the good news when I picked him up from work and he reminded me of how my grandchildren's body functions have been a central theme in our relationship, since day one. On our very first date my cell phone rang as we were looking through the pictures I had taken in Cuba. He figured it was the "get me the heck out of here" call that people set up for first dates. I was pretty embarrassed to get off the phone and tell him that was my daughter and my other grandson had peed in the potty for the first time. That opened the door to him telling me that Monica, his daughter, was pregnant so we knew grandchildren were going to be an integral part of our relationship. And I am glad, I love our grandchildren - they add such joy to our lives. Now if I could just get my act together and get up to see Kegan. Mary said he is up to 10 1/2 lbs. The little guy is growing and I am missing it!

This rainy weather - we even had hail yesterday - has me thinking about The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss. What a way to spend a rainy day at home - much more fun than working on paperwork as I am. I loony cat spinning plates to entertain me sounds good about now. It is hard to believe that this book was Seuss's response to a Life magazine article about the boring beginning readers we subjected our children to and in 1957 he created this subversive and funny book of 223 words. It would be considered child abuse today to leave your kids alone like the mother did. And to have such wicked fun and get away with it - how subversive is that! No wonder kids love this character. My favorite is the cautionary fish! The popularity of the Cat resulted in Geisel and his wife creating the Beginner Books, many of which he wrote, but all inexpensive hardbacks that hold up to literally generations of readers. :-)

That's my bit of book trivia for today.