Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sophie was in second heaven - Mama spent time in bed reading this a.m. I had to finish Lauren Myracle's Bliss so getting up at 6:30 to read before getting on this computer to grade all day seemed like bliss to me! While Sophie sprawled her big ol' cat body all over my lap I devoured the last few chapters of Bliss and I sat there with tears welling up in my eyes. The ending got me right in the gut and the heart. I wasn't expecting it so it was all that more intense. This book will appeal to the girls who read both horror/supernatural and romance/chic lit. What an enticing mix of an innocent first love and an gruesome obsession. I couldn't put this book down, especially with the Tate/LaBianca murders woven into the narrative and dialogue, making Sandy, the "unnatural" needy friend of Bliss all to0 real. Sandy has lost her connection with reality and wants to join her powers with those of the dead girl who threw herself from the 3rd story window of one of the buildings on campus. This book just might have goosebumps raising on your arms - did you hear that whisper?

On the children's book side, I am still moving my body to the rhythm of The First Music as told by Dylan Pritchett. This is an 2006 August House folktale so you may already have it on your shelves. I found my copy again when I was going through my shelves last night and remembered how much I like the story as well as the bold funky illustrations by Erin Bennett Banks. This is the story of how music began for the animals in Africa. Elephant stubbed his toe on a hollow log and in his frustration and hurt he thunked on it with his foot. What a great sound it made - "BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Padada BOOM!" Monkey started moving to the rythm and the leaves on the branch he danced on made a "Shh-ka-shh! Shh-ka-shh! Shh-ka-shh! Shh-ka-shh!" sound to add to it. Crane lost her balance as she danced and fell on crocodile's back who loved the tickling feeling on his scaly back - "Skee-de-lee! Key-key-key! Skee-de-lee! Key-key-key!" All the while the frogs watched quietly as they have short legs and cannot dance. But the frogs found their voice on the dawn of the 7th day - "Reep-reep-ree! Reep-reep-ree! Reep-reep-ree!" So, even if you have short arms or legs, you can still make music as the aimals of Africa do. I wish I had this book when I was an elementary school librarian - what fun during a primary storytime. Or, join with the music teacher to create a Reader's Theater piece with drums, shakers, etc. Oh what fun!! This one goes on my "gotta keep" shelf for when I have to read to little ones on short notice. :-)

I'll dance my way to the kitchen for another Diet Coke - Skee-de-lee!! :-)