Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A catamaran loaded with tourists is bouncing along in the waves out in the bay as they head for Buck Island for an afternoon of snorkling. It is a quite breezy day and as full as that boat is it is still going up and down more than I would like. But, I did find the most wonderful natural remedy for upset stomachs - medication or motion sickness induced. It is a hot spicy chewy candy put out by the Ginger People, called Ginger Chews. I found a can in the Fruit Bowl, a really neat little store that carries the soy yoghurt I love. Wish I had bought every can on the shelf as when I went back they were gone. And so is my supply of chews! The supplier has a really neat website at www.gingerpeople.com. Has recipes and lots of other neat info on ginger as well as ordering information. Ordered a bunch of chews and other goodies and had them sent to Steve's daughter so she can bring them down with her. So now I am stuck with ginger snaps and ginger tea until then.

I received a copy of Sallie Lowenstein's Waiting for Eugene to review and was intrigued by the intricate line drawings in a fold out at the end. Reading through the promotional materials I discovered that a teen reader told the author that placing the illustrations through out the book would be distracting. I have to agree - this is a very intense book and the art at the end is a treat. Lowenstein has self published, via Lion Stone Books, a number of YA novels in the last several years. They have received good reviews and there are many positive reader comments about her books on Amazon. Intriguing fantasy and science fiction tales. I admit this is my first Lowenstein novel and I was quite fascinated. The writing can be a bit jarring at times but the compelling story line and fascinating characters make up for the awkward turn of a phrase. Twelve year old Sara is the beloved daughter of architect father Michel, who tells her wonderful, though becoming scary, stories of the people he met when he was in hiding during WWII. From his stories and descriptions, Sara draws detailed pictures of the people he talks about. As his mental illness, brought on by the memories of his childhood confinement, becomes more severe, Sara's mother tells her not to ask her father for any more stories, but Sara craves them. Michel is a loving caring father when himself and quite scary and bizarre when lost in his memories. To help ground Sara in the real world is her best friend and neighbor Willie, who slowly becomes more than just a friend as their relationship blooms. A delightful and spooky novel filled with tales of visitors, real and imaginary.

All for now.