Sunday, September 18, 2005

It is a beautiful breezy Sunday morning with the sun shining, but there are clouds on the horizon. This time of year there is no telling what the weather will be like. It is nice to have Steve home and back to our "normal" schedule, which includes sharing a Shipwreck burger for lunch on Saturdays. They are so large I can't imagine eating a whole one. There is good reason Shipwreck gets the local vote for best burger on the island every year. While we were eating lunch they had a Bob Marley music video playing. It was really good - brought back lots of great memories since my son loved Marley's music and I would often hear it in the background when we had our late night chats on the phone. Will have to see if I can find it on B&N. Most people seems to prefer Amazon, but I love B&N because of the membership discount and the free shipping, even down here to the islands. I order and I have the books, CDs, or DVDs within a week.

Speaking of B&N, I had to read the professional reviews for Henry Garfield's My Father the Werewolf because I was expecting an exciting read and it wasn't. It felt like I was reading an outline for what could have been a really great horror novel. The reviewers weren't any more thrilled with it than I was. A 2Q from VOYA. The third person narrative focused on the middle-age hippie father in the first part of the book and then switched to Danny, the 14-year-old son who had the responsibility of making sure his father got to the island off the coast of the small Maine town they moved to after his father is attacked by a werewolf on Pismo Beach in California. The tale is told so matter of factly, with almost no emotion. The characters are not rounded out so that the reader does not feel any real connection to them. The strait between the island and the mainland freezes over and Danny tries to scare his werewolf father back onto the island by shooting off fireworks, one of which burns down the building of the insurance company his dad works for. A disappointing read, but just the title alone will attract readers.

I have been browsing through Kelly Ault's Let's Sign: Every Baby's Guide to Communicating with Grownups. The theory is that teaching sign language to babies prior to being able to use verbal language to express their needs allows them to communicate their needs. Not just the typical sign language we tend to use with babies, but actual American Sign Language. Not sure how I feel about this but it is a cool book to add to any early childhood based collection.

I think I smell Steve's famous Sunday French toast. :-)