Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Another overcast and humid day down here. I just wish it would rain and get it over with! We were up in Tutu having dinner at Jack's last night when it actually drizzled a bit. Nothing here on the south side of the island, of course. We ended up eating out as right after Steve got home from work yesterday, and thank goodness after I got out of the shower, the power went out. So we headed to Iggy's for a burger but they were closed for a private party. I had my heart set on a burger so we went to Jack's. Big mistake - I got really sick from the buffalo burger again. Guess it is time I give up on them, but they do taste good. The power was back on when we got home but I was feeling too crummy to deal with flipping channels. I laughed out loud them a.m. when I read one of the top 5 things you will never hear from your husband is: "Here honey, you take the remote." No kidding! I try not to get too upset as I am never just watching TV - I am also checking email, working on crafts, or other projects while I watch, but when you are involved in a movie and just at the point when you might find out what is going on, like in Ronin, the other night Steve turns the channel to another movie 1/2 way through that I had no idea what was going on. And, of course, he mutes it or goes to the NFL channel during commercials. He does know better than to mess with my dorky horror movies on the SF channel on Sunday afternoons when I am into them, like the alligator one with Betty White. :-) I can only watch them on TV as they cut out all the gory parts. Wish they had cut more out of The Gangs of New York, which we actually did watch all the way through the other night. What a violent movie!

On the reading front, I am enchanted with Lois Lowry's Gossamer. It is a Houghton Mifflin title that came out last month. I can't wait to read this one aloud to my granddaughter Allyson when she is older. It is so beautifully written that I could see Littlest One, the tiny dream-giver, as I read, even though she is practically transparent to start out. Fastidious, Littlest's teacher, gets very frustrated with all the questions she asks about human and animals and what exactly they are, but Ancient One finds her playfulness and questioning manner appealing. Littlest and Thin Elderly, her new companion in transferring memories, which become dreams, to humans while they sleep are up against the Horde, which will bring terrible nightmares to their charges, a little boy and his elderly foster caregiver. Littlest is intent on finding the most wonderful memories in the limited items in the house that she can touch to gather memories so she can help build John's defenses against the Sinisteed. Lowry has done it again - enchanted me with a story of a wonderful fantasy character who has to be shared with elementary and younger MS age students.

All for today.