Thursday, April 14, 2005

Good afternoon. I just finished writing the final exams for the two YA literature courses I teach. I think I dislike writing exams as much as I dislike taking them! I feel brain dead after that.

I started going through boxes of books, deciding what I am willing to part with for the Montessori School Library and which ones I just have to keep for myself. We won't have as much storage space in the new apartment so I need to pare down a bit. But, I really don't mind since what the new apartment may lack in storage space it makes up for with the large open living area and great kitchen. Not that I cook as much as Steve does, but I have to be in there to make brownies! :-) I can't wait to sit out on that porch, watch the hummingbirds, and listen to the quiet. No "fart mobiles" spinning their tires as they try to get around the sharp corner right below our living room windows. We will be living in an area called Frenchman's Bay - much closer to town so we won't have to get up as early. Lots of large homes above the bay, including the one we will be living in. We don't move until the beginning of June, but I am getting anxious.

My latest reading material has been at a bit lower level - upper elementary, lower middle school - Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan. Her Esperanza Rising was very popular in the middle schools in Texas. It won more awards that you can shake a fist at.

Reading Becoming Naomi Leon was a treat. Ryan has a way with language that is as rich as the hot chocolate that sits on the back of the stove in Naomi's Mexican relatives' home. Naomi and her physically handicapped younger brother live with their great grandmother in her airstream trailer. They don't have much, but they are happy and content with the love that surrounds them, until Naomi's mother returns and wants to take Naomi with her to Vegas. A trip to Mexico results in Naomi and Owen being reunited with their father and Naomi developing enough self confidence to stand up for herself. Oh what a satisfying read. :-)