Wednesday, April 13, 2005

It is going to be a hot one today. I'm already drinking diet Coke and sitting in front of the fan. Looks like we will be moving into a new apartment the end of next month. It is in a much quieter neighborhood and has air conditioning! And a washer and dryer. I don't trust any of my clothes to the laundry people so I end up doing most of them by hand. What a pain. Can't wait to move, but dread the idea of moving. Thank goodness that apartment does not include a set of steps to go down like this one does. Moving a king size bed out of here is going to be interesting.

Guess I am just in the island mode. I picked up The Education of Patience Goodspeed by Heather Vogel Frederick because of the cover art - cool old ship with sails up in the background. When I read the blurb and realized it was set in Hawaii I knew I had to read it. It was absolutely wonderful. I have been reading so much contemporary YA that this humorous historical fiction novel was just what I needed. Patience is not one of Patience's virtues so I really related to her in that sense. A young teen who has already saved her father's whaling ship from a mutiny and masterminded and executed the plan to rescue a landing party from the cannibals on the Dark Islands, poor Patience does not know how to act the part of the lady at the Lahaina girls seminary boarding school she and her little brother Tad are sent to. Fanny, the woman Patience fears is after her father, spews etiquette tips all day long, and the Reverend Wiggins keeps pace with her in relation to quoting Proverbs. What a delightful read. Now I need to find the first book - The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed to read more about the mutiny.

The MS Tantalizing Tidbits book manuscript went in yesterday so I can breath a sigh of relief and start working on writing a final for the YA literature courses. This semester is flying by.