Sunday, April 24, 2005

I was hoping my post from Thursday would have shown up in the blog after it disappeared into cyberspace when I tried to post it, but I guess not.

Haven't posted in the last two days as I lost a battle with sinusitis. You know the one - if you lean forward it feels like you eyes are going to pop out from the pressure. Isn't that a gross visual! I spent the last two days sleeping or wishing I were asleep! But, it is Sunday morning and I can actually open my eyes all the way and breathe a bit through my nose so I am happy.

Carnival is coming up next week and it will be nutso in Carlotte Amalie until next Monday. Some of the classes from Montessori go to the Food Fest on Weds. and the whole school goes to the Children's Parade on Friday since they have a float in the parade. I am not one for crowds so I try to stay away from town during Carnival activities. Steve said he has to get to work early as they use "THE parking lot" (the only one in Charlotte Amalie) for the Carnival booths so the govt. workers lose their parking lot and other parking is at a premium.

In between naps I did read a bit and revisited Hattie from Hill Hawk Hattie by Clara Gillow Clark. In the first book about Hattie her mother has just died and her father is not taking it well - taking it out on Hattie who can't cook if her life depended upon it. So her father brings home a set of boy's clothes for her and tells Hattie she is to pretend to be his son and join him in the woods logging. She becomes a pretty good second hand on the log raft down the river. In the second book, Hattie on Her Way, she is left with her maternal grandmother and one very suspicious and grumpy cook. Something bad has happened to Hattie's grandfather - the neighbors think her grandmother, with her mother's help, "offed him" and when Hattie pulls up what appears to be a finger bone stuck to a radish in the garden she isn't so sure they are wrong. What actually did happen tears at your heart strings and makes you want to take Hattie home with you, but she is one independent young woman and will do fine on her own. Throw in the neighbor who is into gossip and seances and the tutor with an unquenchable appetite and you have a few chuckles in what is a quite good historical novel.

All for now.